Wednesday, April 12, 2006

A Wedding Story - Episode 2

As of last Saturday, the wedding dress is ordered! I appreciate all of the "encouragement," but you can all rest your pretty little heads about at least that one thing. Please give me a couple of weeks to bask in the decision that has been made, and then you can pick something else to hound me about. I am kidding...mostly. I recognize that I have little intrinsic motivation, so I acknowledge the need for some of the external pressure. Anyway, in case you are wondering, it should be here by the beginning of July.
Last night, I had a conversation with Steven's mom and aunts about the reception. If anyone else has any good, money-saving tips, send them on. The more I analyze it (because that's what I do) the more it boggles my mind. When you get right down to it, it's a funny thing that I should be one of the poorest people at my wedding and, because of tradition, find myself feeding a multitude. I am going to have to ask for a fish and loaves miracle. I want people to come witness the ceremony. I want them to stick around afterwards to talk. And though I don't feel like I have a "dream wedding" in mind, I do want to throw flowers and cut cake and have the whole picture. That takes food (because people won't stay just because you want them to) and food takes money (duh).
I am super excited about my mom and sister, Heather, coming to visit in a week and a half. They are going to help me with the next few planning steps. I'm just glad to see them, but I hope we also get a lot accomplished. My "little" sister got married last year (see the November archives) so she has a wealth of experience and wisdom. And, of course, Mom is planning her second wedding within a year (not hers - mine and Heather's). Anyway, that's all for this wedding installment. 'Til next time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As one who has had to figure out how to stretch dollars for many years, I have two words for you - POP CORN. Of course if you only want one word, the result you get when you pop corn is POPCORN. Either way this All- American staple is one of the least expensive (OK, cheapest) foods known to man and woman (or husband and wife). It's not only inexpensive (cheap) but it transports and stores small and then amazingly serves really large. It doesn't take a lot to fill up big bowls or even big stomachs. Yes, I know popcorn may seem cheap, but have you bought any at a movie theater lately. At those prices it should be considered a gourmet food whether Orville has anything to do with it or not. Afraid it may be cheesy - go ahead and make it that way, too. (But you do run the risk of sticky orange fingers messing up clothes.) Not traditional enough? You could say the same thing at one time about sparklers. Wow. Great idea. Popcorn - you can eat it and then throw it when the bride and groom are leaving. Double duty - more savings. Yes, get right over to Bebops garage and reserve the cute little red popper. (Serious word - live within your means. And if anyone doesn't like the fact that you didn't dig yourself into an unrealistic financial hole, they deserve to get hulls caught in their teeth. Mints, nuts, and homemade sandwiches are also nice.)