Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Drumroll please...it's a List.

I made a long, arduous hike to my car a while ago to retrieve my bag containing items to prevent boredom in various situations- especially useful during non-elementary school subbing. However, the teacher left her computer logged on for me so I have instead been reading up on blogs, looking at wedding stuff, etc. This has caused me to want to update my blog, but I really don't know what to say. Therefore, here is "Kelli's First Blogging List" (try to contain your excitement). I have decided to curb the randomness and restrict this list to the joys of substitute teaching...in no particular order.


  • Every day is a new situation. No cubical farm monotony here.
  • It's fun to be directionally impaired and try to remember directions to and the layouts of about ten different places (so far).
  • Flexible schedule.
  • Sometimes not knowing, when you go to bed, if you'll work in the morning or not.
  • Occasionally getting to feel like you're making a difference... or at least making someone's day a little better.
  • Lots of movies.
  • Re-learning all the things that were crammed down your throat in school, but never stuck... and actually enjoying it this time.
  • School lunch is only $2.65! (and worth every penny)
  • Getting paid to read... or do newspaper puzzles... or update blogs!
  • Getting out at 2:30 or 3-ish.
  • Seeing "the other side" of school... like where the teachers go that nobody else can.
  • Reading fun stories to children.
  • Ah! the smell of hand sanitizer.
  • Watching other people struggle with Chemistry and secretly laughing at them.
  • Freaking people out when you actually know the subject matter.
  • Spring Break!! (break: good; paycheck: bad)
  • Not having to make lesson plans, grade papers, or do homework.
  • Kids are funny... all ages, different amusements.

I'm sure I could think of more if I really tried, but maybe I'll post an addendum later. I hope you enjoyed it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl:

You almost made me want to go back... well, subbing is a bit different... perhaps I can try that some day. :) Should the seminary thing not work, you know I'll give it a shot...

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

What type of college education do you need to be a sub?

Kelli said...

Well, since I have no idea who the last poster was, I guess I'll have to answer on here. It varies in different districts, but here you only need a high school diploma, and then to sub in the high school you need any bachelor's degree.