Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pharaoh, Pharaoh...

Has anyone ever noticed that despite our society becoming more violent and children being exposed to more detrimental things at an earlier age, children's stories are actually becoming more tame?  Have you looked at a book of fairy tales lately?  There's always something about somebody being killed or children eaten by witches, etc.  Those things would be considered too gruesome or frightening for today's children.  However, I would also like to point out that we have also severely dumbed down the language.  When I read an old story to my four-year-olds, it feels like I'm translating a book from another language on the spot (which, by the way, I have done).  I am trying to let my eyes read ahead so I can change words that are too hard to understand into easier concepts and find better ways to say, "She said, 'I will bite off his fingers.'"  If you haven't had that experience, I don't particularly recommend it - it makes your head hurt!  I'm going to have to do some more thinking about why things have changed and what effect it has on today's children.  In most cases, I am in favor of sheltering children when they're that young.  But, at the same time, maybe there's some merit to scaring them! 

Now, here's where it bothers me.  For a long time, I have been amused by the way that children's Bibles or preschool Sunday School curriculum have chosen to tell certain bible stories.  For instance, there is no mention of the feud between Jacob and Esau except to focus on the fact that they forgave each other and reconciled.  I'm not saying that a child should understand the complexities of the problems between them, but it's just funny that that part is kept from them.  That's really the beauty of the Bible - that it is applicable to us at every stage or situation in life.  However, I was recently looking for a children's version of the plagues of Egypt part of the Exodus story and found that it is very hard to come by.  Most sources I found went straight from Moses at the burning bush to the Israelites crossing the Red Sea.  I am convinced that it is because it is too hard to explain a loving God that pours out judgment and wrath.  It's okay for Pharaoh to kill babies, because he's a "bad guy," but when God kills babies?  That's too much.  We can't teach little children that!  Why not?!  Yes, I want them to understand that God is loving.  Yes, I am hoping they don't ask certain questions that will be too difficult to explain to the whole group.  But it is part of the character of God, it makes us fear Him in a good way, and, later, it will add so much to their understanding of grace!  We need to stop making excuses for God.  He doesn't need us to defend Him.  He is who He is... He said so Himself!  "God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'" (Exodus 3:14)

I am not meaning to criticize parenting styles or the writing habits of the good folks at Lifeway.  I am suggesting that we, as adults, need to stop candy-coating God, and take a good, hard look at who He is.  Maybe letting Him be who He is instead of glossing past the parts we don't like, will help us understand Him a little better and comprehend the relationship He's trying to have with us.

No comments: